Monday, October 3, 2011

"And He Shall Have Power to Crush Thy Head"


I have some catching up to do; this blog begins in 2011, but I have several paintings of religious narrative and symbolism, completed mostly after 2005. This was the first of them.

In Genesis 3: 14-15, the Lord has just cast Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden, having declared their new state of mortality, and given them commandments. He then turns to Lucifer, and keeping with the metaphor of the serpent, declares, "on thy belly shalt thou go all the days of thy life; and I shall put enmity between thee and the seed of the woman, And thou mayest have power to bruise His heel, but He shall have power to crush thy head."

This painting illustrates not a moment in time, but an event that transcends time. This image depicts one of many scriptural metaphors for the Atonement of Christ. As we all have a snake in our lives to put underfoot, this painting is my testimony that all our weaknesses may be overcome through Jesus, through His grace, and by subjection to His will. It was not only my intention to depict the power by which the act is accomplished, but also the peace which comes thereby, as signified by the Savior's right hand, raised to calm the troubled couple behind Him, on their path through mortality.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sam...I came across your blog while googling for enlightenment..(kidding), and I think this painting of Jesus crushing the snake is amazing in so many ways.

    Jesus is in such a moving state of confidence. I like the way he is holding up his tunic (I can perfectly imagine him gathering up the material as he prepares his pounce on the snake), the posture of his right hand staying off his disciples as he catches the snake by surprise. I can sense the realness of the moment in my mind. The Master protecting, yet teaching his disciples the path of God.

    I like the stance of the disciples. For me, their hoods around them represent the security they may still seek..their lingering inhibitions, if I may.

    I'm glad I was able to see your delightful version of a moment in time for Jesus and his pupils.

    Blessings for inspiration, prosperity, and wellbeing...

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete