Monday, October 10, 2011

Mary and Martha: Setting the Table


I can’t say that I’m much of a still life painter. I’m even less of a landscape painter, but that doesn’t really come into play in this painting of Jesus in the House of Mary and Martha.

As I begin copying the table setting from the photo reference, I realize I need to make some adjustments. Because I’ve compressed the perspective of the room, moving the fireplace and so on, I’ve also needed to move the figures closer together. This gives us a much more intimate dinner party. It also means I have to edit out some of the very full table items.

I’ve corrected some previous drawing errors. Martha’s left humerus (upper arm) is shorter now, not only making her less lopsided, but also freeing up the space around the Savior’s hand. She’ll still have that big copper bucket hanging from her arm, but it will be well receded in shadow. I’ve also lengthened her leg, which is problematic because it moves her position in the space. She’s now standing closer to Mary.

I’m still wishing I had more disciples in the foreground, and maybe one in the doorway on our right.

And sooner or later I need to wander over the tracks to the International District/Chinatown, to find some dried fish. It should be tilapia, but as long as it’s the right size, I suppose it’ll be fine. I’ll then hang the fish above the fireplace, cast even more shadows on this beautiful barrel vaulted ceiling.

Oh, and the ceiling needs to be Jerusalem stone, rather than plaster.

The work has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment